Welcome

My name is Kristine Tirone. My goal is to do something I never thought I'd be able to do. Meaning, I never thought I'd even get close to having the opportunity to leave the country, or be involved with a class in this way. Setting standards for myself and working towards something is a new thing for me. I'm writing this blog to raise money to send my class to Costa Rica. Our class, as a whole, is trying to fundraise over $15,000. This will fund everything from our food, a place to stay, to our flight.

I'm getting a new understanding of what it's like to deserve what you work for. Before, I would sit back and let everyone do the work and I would take the credit. My personal struggles got in the way of my everyday functioning. My focus on education was lost to my other struggles. Not only was I not understanding the work, but I had an increasingly low work ethic. This all started to change over the summer of 2010. Bryan, my teacher, makes it known that he has an extremely low tolerance for slackers. I didn't want to disappoint him, and this motivation was new to me.

I realize as my interactions with people started to change, I started to as well. Bryan always expected nothing but good things from me, and I've given him nothing but that. I suppose if you feel a certain way or act a certain way, you become a certain way. From there it's history, ever since I've excelled in my school work and always do what I say I will. You're only as good as your word.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chapter 4 "Walking with Wolf"

While reading chapter 4 it spoke about Kay getting Hodgkin's disease (a lymphatic cancer). Lymphatic or lymphoma is cancer in the lymph nodes (apart of the immune system), it can spread to the lungs and the liver. I can only imagine what kind of struggles she was going through. She just got over a horrible divorce and she must have figured her weight lost was due to depression. She was fainting, and having a hard time breathing. That's when she finally went to the doctors and was diagnosed in 1990. Kay felt as though her body was falling apart. She was always getting sick. Hodgkin's attacks the immune system. She went back to Canada in 1990 after her medical blow.


Back in 1952 there was a lot of illness in Costa Rica. Lucky and Wolf along with many other community members got Hepatitis. Some symptoms of Hepatitis A are jaundice, flu like illnesses, itchy skin and abdominal pain. During this same time Lucky was pregnant and lost the baby due to jaundice. It doesn't say whether or not it was a coincidence but I can make a connection with the two.


These really spoke to me in the chapter because I'm working towards getting my LNA certificate during my senior year of high school. I'm learning all about disease and illness. When I'm finished with high school my plan is to move on to college to get my RN and become a pediatric nurse. When I read that Lucky lost her baby to jaundice it made me really think of my future and the work field. If I plan to go down the path of being a pediatric nurse I'll either witness miracles everyday, or heartbreaks. Its strange because when reading the chapter I got a little emotional when I read that her baby died. I guess I was upset that it didn't get a chance at life, and I feel like I can give families and babies a chance. No parent should have to go through that.



I think the Costa Rica trip will really help me get my ducks in a row, and shoot for the stars. I feel like if I can reach my goal and make it to Costa Rica then I can be the nurse that I want to be. My class can't make it there on our own. If you'd like to help us make your dreams come true please send a check, payable to Robert J. Lister Academy. Mail to 35 Sherburne Rd Portsmouth NH 03801, to the attention of Kristine Tirone. Please leave a return address so I can personally thank you. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment