Welcome

My name is Kristine Tirone. My goal is to do something I never thought I'd be able to do. Meaning, I never thought I'd even get close to having the opportunity to leave the country, or be involved with a class in this way. Setting standards for myself and working towards something is a new thing for me. I'm writing this blog to raise money to send my class to Costa Rica. Our class, as a whole, is trying to fundraise over $15,000. This will fund everything from our food, a place to stay, to our flight.

I'm getting a new understanding of what it's like to deserve what you work for. Before, I would sit back and let everyone do the work and I would take the credit. My personal struggles got in the way of my everyday functioning. My focus on education was lost to my other struggles. Not only was I not understanding the work, but I had an increasingly low work ethic. This all started to change over the summer of 2010. Bryan, my teacher, makes it known that he has an extremely low tolerance for slackers. I didn't want to disappoint him, and this motivation was new to me.

I realize as my interactions with people started to change, I started to as well. Bryan always expected nothing but good things from me, and I've given him nothing but that. I suppose if you feel a certain way or act a certain way, you become a certain way. From there it's history, ever since I've excelled in my school work and always do what I say I will. You're only as good as your word.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thank You! =]

I really love Robert J Lister Academy. Without my school I don't think I'd be as good off as I am. In Walking with Wolf, the book consistently talks about how Wolf and the group of people he went to Costa Rica with stayed a group. Meaning they stuck together, they didn't separate and could always lean on one another when they needed help. They were a family pretty much. And as crazy or weird as this might sound, my class, in fact my entire school is a family. As much as we fight, and yell, we always are there for each other.
I know that my classmates in the Costa Rica class are definitely my group;my family. We are a team, through anything and everything. But one thing that really made me know for sure that my entire student body supported the class and had faith in the Costa Rica students was when we had a raffle for a laptop held at the Harlem Wizards game. A few of the teachers actually were playing and most students showed up to the game to support us. It touched me sincerely to feel that I had my entire school behind me, to know that the Costa Rica class just wasn't doing it by ourselves. Our classmates are happy for us and are showing spirit in their school. That was a very gratifying moment in this process.
6 months ago I did not have much school spirit at all. I was at a really big public school, in which I hated! (I have never been a fan of school, I am frustrated easily with work and give up) When I came to RJLA I wanted to change and they were just the people that were willing to help. The kids, teachers, and the principal. I had a lot of support and a lot of new spirit I never thought I had! Ha I thought I was being taken over by body snatchers! I literally had felt and had a totally different opinion about school. In Walking with Wolf, every time there was a road bump and Wolf, Kay, Lucky or anyone of them fell off the horse they were always there to pick one another up. I was finally at a point in my life where that was okay for me. I was allowing people in to help me, and to help pick me up when I fall.

To have supports in my life is a great thing and I believe it will make me so successful. It helps me have self confidence in myself and it's good to know others have confidence in me as well. I just want my peers and supporters to know how much they mean to me. Thank you so much for everything, even just reading this blog. If you'd life to support our Costa Rica class in more than one way our Facebook page account is up and running. Our PayPal account is accepting online donations. Our article will be in the Portsmouth Herald/ Seacoast Online over the weekend. My class is hiring out for our leaf raking on October 23rd - November 7th.

Check us out at http://sites.google.com/site/listeracademycostaricaclass , thanks so much and have an awesome weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kristine! I love having you in RJLA also! without you the costa rica class would be a struggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...... Kristine! Thank you for the honesty- your words are so powerful!!! The insight you show is tremendous, and I can only imagine how far you and the class can go with each other's support. I love the connection you made with Wolf and the group being there for each other and allowing others to help you out when you need too!!!
    LOVE what you are doing, and how your mind is growing! It's the ripple effect-- every little bit of positivity you put out there, others will pick up too...
    Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete